WHAT YOU´LL DO
- Discover the Salt Valley of Añana
- Tasting of salts
- Enjoy Vitoria and the cathedral of Santa María
- Have lunch in a historic place
- English, French, Spanish, Basque
- On request (extra charge*): German / portuguese / japanese* / chinese*
WHAT TO EXPECT
The most famous salt production of the Basque Country is in Añana. Salt is the only edible rock in nature. The Valley of Añana is a cultural place of more than 6500 years of history and is near to being World Heritage. The Salt Valley of Añana (Álava) is one of the most breathtaking and well-conserved places in Europe. It is situated 30 km from Vitoria-Gasteiz. Humans have taken advantage of the salt sources for thousands of years so as to obtain an essential product in our lives, salt. This magnificent outdoor cultural place has been evolving for centuries: Platforms where brines are spilt, to get salty water and after the water is evaporated we obtain salt. A unique and extended net of wood channels that distribute the water to distant places in the Valley.
Early in the morning, we will go to the Salt Valley of Añana to discover the salt mines, their importance and how the salt is recovered and produced, which is considered one of the world’s best salt. After the visit, we will make a tasting of salts: Evaluating the salt in an easy way but also with professionality taking in mind the appearances and different feelings of the variety of salts combined with spices such as cayenne, tomato, garlic, fine herbs and Provencal herbs; black and green olives and wine.
Once the visit is finished, we will move to Vitoria-Gasteiz, a city with unlimited possibilities. A city cooked with the best ingredients of the best quality.
We will have lunch in a traditional restaurant located in the Old Part of the city
After lunch, we will visit the Santa María cathedral, known as Old Cathedral. It is a catholic temple of gothic style located on the top of a hill where the primitive village of Gasteiz was first established. This place is known internationally because it was the inspiration of Ken Follet to continue with “The Pillars of the Earth”. And it is included a guided visit to this architectonic jewel
- A minimum of 2 people.
- With a private tour guide, the schedule, duration and activities can be adjusted to meet your needs.
- Please, provide us with any special request you have or eating intolerances.
- We suggest wearing comfortable footwear.
- Cancel up to 15 days in advance for a full refund
- Cancellations between 15 days and 48 hours will be charged 50%
- Cancellations 48 hours in advance will be charged 100%