WHAT YOU´LL DO
- Know the history of the Basque village and Gernika
- Discover the basque nature: The Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve
- Enjoy the nature and discover the secrets of San Juan of Gaztelugatxe
- See de wild fauna in its natural habitat
- English, French, Spanish, Basque
- On request (extra charge*): German / portuguese / japanese* / chinese*
WHAT TO EXPECT
Explore with us the Basque roots on a Day trip to through Urdaibai Biosphere Reservation. Enjoy a Citytour in Gernika combined with visit in Bermeo and finishing the trip by visiting San Juan de Gaztelugatxe.
Your driver/guide will pick you up from your hotel in San Sebastian and transfer you to Gernika. Symbol of Basque rights and peace, Gernika-Lumo has many attractive spots that are necessary to visit. Located in the Busturialdea region, in the historical territory of Bizkaia, the village is home to an exceptional architectural heritage and a perfect starting point for our day trip to Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve, an exceptional place formed by wide sandy areas. Guided Tour in Gernika and visiting the Museum de la paz and enjoy the typical desserts of Gernika "Oribaltzas".On the way to Bermeo we will pass Mundaka and have a stop at Portuondo to enjoy some Pintxos and enjoy the view over Urdaibai Biosphere Reservation.Bermeo is one of the most important fishing villages in the Basque Country. The town has a long maritime tradition and, for centuries, the bermeotarras (as locals from Bermeo are called) were famous whalers. Even today Bermeo’s economy is heavily based on the fishing industry and this is highlighted in its coat of arms, which shows a ship pursuing a whale.
One of the most picturesque corners of Bermeo is its beautiful old port, an area with slender houses painted in a myriad of colors that is full of bars where locals stop for a drink and a pintxo. We will visit the museum dedicated to the lives of the arrantzales (Basque fishermen), located in the Ercilla Tower.
Free time for Lunch in Bermeo. The day tour ends with a trip to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, whose name means “castle rock” in Basque (“gaztelu” = castle + “aitz” = rock), is a definite “must” if you are visiting the Basque Country. It is an island located just off the shore along the Bay of Biscay, 35 km east from Bilbao. The island is cone-shaped and features a tiny church on its highest point that is dedicated to John the Baptist. Although not proven, it has been said that he even set foot on the island.You will return to the hotel with the driver/guide
- A minimum of 2 people.
- With a private tour guide, the schedule, duration and activities can be adjusted to meet your needs.
- Please, provide us with any special request you have.
- We advise to wear comfortable shoes for walking through the old part.
- Please note that this tour is a culture and food tour. But, you will get a pair of local snacks as well as a cultural walk in order to learn about the Basque culture and gastronomy. Please note that you will not receive a full meal.
- Cancel up to 15 days in advance for a full refund
- Cancellations between 15 days and 48 hours will be charged 50%
- Cancellations 48 hours in advance will be charged 100%